Monday, June 29, 2015

Vegan Truffled Mayonnaise Recipe


The aquafaba mayo obsession continues! A few beautiful artichokes made their way into my produce cart, and I just so happened to have some aquafaba on hand because I can't stop making curried chickpea rice pulao. Artichokes call for mayonnaise, and hence this recipe was born!

I have a stockpile of aquafaba and some freeze dried fruit to experiment with now (Safeway carries organic free dried fruit, and Trader Joes carries regular freeze dried fruit)! Powdered freeze dried fruits are a wonderful way to use natural flavoring and coloring to cakes, macarons, and other baked goods without adding extra moisture, so I'm excited to start experimenting! I really want to make a vegan mochi cake.

Although I'm an omnivore, I've found that creativity can be induced when I restrict ingredients. I've made the most amazing food when forced to cook from my pantry, and cooking this way gets me out of ruts.  That seems backwards, but cooking this way challenges me and makes me create instead of following along.

Vegan Truffled Mayonnaise

makes 1 to 1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise

1/4 C      aquafaba
2 T         white truffle oil
1 T         white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp    homemade garlic salt (use 1/4 tsp if using store-bought garlic salt)
1 T         Dijon mustard
3/4-1 C   peanut oil (any neutral oil will do)

special equipment: immersion blender or blender

Blend together the aquafaba, white truffle oil, white wine vinegar, garlic salt, and Dijon mustard on low speed. After a few seconds, start drizzling in the oil until the mixture emulsifies. Continue to add at least 3/4 C oil. Stop blending and taste the mixture, adding more salt or vinegar if necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...