Monday, June 29, 2009

Too Much Fun Cami


Although I love my Mexico Cami, after wearing it a few times its flaws were rather apparent. Cotton knits stretch as you wear them, and eventually bending forward always involved me having to put a hand over my chest to prevent free shows. It looked like I was bowing and doing the flag salute. Hence, the need to knit a second cami.

I knit this tank with even more leftover Curve of Pursuit yarn. (Amazingly, I am almost out of Elann Sonata. Woot!) It only took 3 balls, and as you can see, I had to add stripes since I did not have enough of one solid color. And these are not just any stripes, but Stripes by Committee since I pinged my other 3 travel companions often about their design.

I knit most of this cami while lazing around the Yucatan beaches and sitting in the back of cars and on ferries on the way to more Yucatan beaches. This also means that much of this was knit while I had a frosty margarita or Sol in my hand. Hence, there are some sloppy shortcuts I took that bit me in the butt later. For example, instead of carrying the unused yarn up the sides while I did the stripes, I just cut the yarn and tied a knot. I was cursing under my breath last night as I was weaving in over 30 yarn ends, but at least watching re-runs of The Giro made it less painful. Those uninviting yarn ends are what kept this as a UFO for over 2 months.

The Dirty Details
Pattern: Honeymoon Cami by Julia Trice
Needles: US size 6
Yarn: 2 balls Elann Sonata in Pesto, 1 ball Elann Sonata in Nougat
Gauge: 6 sts/in
Modifications: I cast on 156 stitches and then followed the instructions for waist shaping. I started the stripes 4" from the bottom of the tank.

6 comments:

  1. that is gorgeous - the stripes are perfect - love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky's right! The cami is gorgeous! Did you solve the stretchy probem? What happened to the original cami? Maybe a wash and a fluff on the "AIR" cycle in the dryer would help it back to it's original form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to add about 2 inches of negative ease to the pattern to make it fit. I've washed the first cami a couple of times in hot water, and it fits for about an hour before the stretching begins. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so woman to woman - what do you wear under it? I want to knit one, but - uh. . . I live in small old-school Minnesota Lutheran town. I'm not sure how my ta-tas would behave in that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know. Me again. So I was thinkin'. I have this raw hamburger sweater I'm knitting which I can't even wear until October, several socks - again, can't wear until Fall. So it would be ok if I went out and bought more yarn, right??? To make a little summer cami for myself, right??? I don't have a knitting problem. I can quit any time I want.


    right?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...