This time, the stash busting included both produce in the refrigerator and leftover project yarn.
Since broccoli has been super cheap and good, I picked up some crowns. When I was stashing the broccoli in the refrigerator, I found some more broccoli in the produce bin that was last week's "OMG, this organic broccoli is cheaper than the regular broccoli!" score.
Got too much broccoli? Make soup! The way I make broccoli soup is simple. Cut washed broccoli into florets. If you have the stems, peel them and slice them into coins. Peel some garlic cloves, and cut off the ends. Throw the broccoli, garlic, and some uncooked white rice into a pot, and fill the pot with enough stock or water to come up to about 3/4 the way up the pile.
Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, and then use your handy stick blender to puree the whole thing. Stir in some yogurt or cream, and add salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes, I get fancy and I saute some onions/leeks/shallots at the beginning of this process, later deglazing the pan with a dry white wine before I add the broccoli, rice, garlic, and stock. Instead of broccoli, you can also use winter squashes (either raw or roasted), carrots, or sweet potatoes. I'll also add lemon juice or cider vinegar if I think the soup needs to be less sweet.
More yarn stash busting has also occurred. In addition to the 10 preemie hats, I knit this hat from leftover Cascade 220 and other worsted weight wool yarns.
It's a boy sized version of Felicity. We have matching hats now, so we can walk our dogs and be dorks together.
To make this hat fit his noggin, I cast on 100 stitches and increased to 150 stitches before starting the decrease rounds.